Thursday, May 5, 2011

One of a Kind's: Biko and Jenna Rose


Biko - A little glamour, a little rock 'n' roll

One of the must-sees of mine at this year's Spring One of a Kind Show was hand-crafted jewellery amazingness from Biko. These "modern nostalgic" pieces have always caught my eye and I was not disappointed when visiting this stocked-up booth. Biko is a creation of Torontonian and designer Corinne Anestopoulos. She started Biko in 2004 and attributes her inspiration for wearable treasures to "priceless heirlooms, foreign travel and warm sunny days". I'm drawn to this line because of its local roots and unique statement it makes. Pieces range from simple studs to fabulous (and pricier - $100+) necklaces.



Biko earrings I bought at the show: $35 (left) and $25 (right) each... may no longer be available :(

Jenna Rose - screen-printed fabrics
 
A handmade find that I was glad to stumble across the One of a Kind Show was screen-printed fabrics by Jenna Rose. This textile studio was started in 2006 just north of Toronto in Guelph, Ontario, and features hand-drawn designs by Rose that are then printed on "natural" or organic materials. My good friend and I spent quite a while ogling the cute bicycle adorned scarves and tree house tea towels.  I think Rose has done some nice work, here, and look forward to see her future fabrics at upcoming shows.


Organic cotton scarf $36 USD on Etsy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment